EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION
Stella Nankya was born in 1988 to late Angelo Nsubuga and Betty Nsubuga at Rubaga hospital in Kampala Uganda.
Her mother was a nurse while her dad worked for an American Insurance company.
Stella spent most of her childhood days at Nsambya estates in Kampala Uganda. This is where her parents lived. She is the youngest in the family of seven children and this gave her the opportunity to be with her mum who would do some tailoring if she is not at hospital. Stella was inspired by her mum who would do different beautiful designs that looked.
Stella went to Tank hill Nursery school and then Kisubi Girls Primary school where she sat for her PLE examinations.
Stella’s Secondary life was not simple as she studied from many schools that included St. Noah Girls, Summit College, Ntinda View College, Taibah and Greenhill Academy.
“Don’t laugh at me but the rules at school were very tight and at times I could not abide by them,” Stella narrated to why she attended many schools.
While at school, Stella discovered that she can do business. “I opened up a beauty palour saloon on Mukwano Arcade before leaving the country for further studies in South Africa.”
JOURNERY TO SOUTH AFRICA.
Stella’s journey to South Africa started way back in 2007. She studied Fashion Design at Sew Africa College in Johannesburg, South Africa.
With her great business skills, Stella took up the opportunities that came her way while in South Africa.
Ugandan fashion designer Stella Nankya started as a model in South Africa in 2007 with a South African based modeling agency. She performed very well and was among the best models in South Africa in 2010. She is currently signed under the Australian based Moment Models Agency. Stella’s excellent performance in the modeling career forced her to start a fashion house labeled StarQT.
StarQT fashion house is one of the largest producers of men and women Clothes in South Africa. Its branded clothes include; Pants, Winter Bunnies, Jackets, T-shirts, Bags, Tank tops and Sweaters. While the starqt clothing line ranges from Couture, Lingerie, cocktails, Formal, Casual, Traditional wears.
Stella is now the proprietor of Miss Uganda South Africa, Miss StarQT Africa and Miss East Africa South Africa pageants. The pageants are there to recognize the beautiful and brilliant ladies from East Africa and Africa at large.
AWARDS AND INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION
Stella has been recognized on both local and international grounds for her superb and inspiring contribution towards the fashion industry in Africa.
- Awarded best new label 2010 at the Afrikan fashion Awards in Uganda.
- Awarded best fashion designer at Miss Asia Pacific World Super talent Endeavour 2013 in Korea.
Stella is now the franchise holder of miss Asia Pacific World in Uganda. As a national director, she is responsible for selecting the brilliant and beautiful ladies to represent Uganda at the world pageant.
STARQT FASHION SHOWS
- Hip hop wear show case in Kensington; November 2008.
- StarQT fashion night at silk Uganda: August 2009
- StarQT splash launch at Golf course hotel, Kampala, Uganda: August 2010.
- StarQT Christmas lingerie show case at Afrikan awards: December 2010.
- StarQT shop online fashion showcase at Grand imperial hotel, Kampala Uganda: April 2011.
- StarQT purple show case at Steak Out in Kampala, Uganda.
- StarQT Ugandan flag range at City hall in Pretoria, South Africa: June 2012.
- StarQT feather qouture show case during Miss Uganda SA pageant.
- StarQT Qouture show case at the legislature building in Johannesburg, South Africa: march 2013.
- StarQT Qocktail dresses show case during MAPW super talent Endeavour in Seoul, Korea; October 2013.
Stella is the proprietor of the Annual Starqt Awards that debuted in 2014 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Starqt Awards annual mission is to Unite, Acknowledge, Recognize, celebrate and reward ground breakers that impact on their societies with drive that push others to better heights and achieve their goals.
Everything we do is fueled by our passion for celebrating the power of unity, acknowledging whose actions and hard work have impacted on the Societies. As we set inspiration to the rest targeting development among all.
STELLA NANKYA CO HOSTS INTERNATIONAL PAGEANT IN 2016
Stella Nankya Co hosted the Super talent season 6 with three other models in Seoul, South Korea and was the African representative at the pageant.